Planning Permission/ Building Control
If the premises is new or if you are altering existing premises you may need planning permission from the local planning office and approval from the Council's Building Control you are advised to contact them for advice.
Details can be found on our Food Premises Registration page.
Food Hygiene Requirements
You should seek advice from the Food Team before starting work. Your Environmental Health Officer will be able to give you advice on the design of catering premises, food hygiene training and advice on food safety.
Food Hygiene Training
Details can be found on our Food Hygiene Training page.
New Business Checklist
- Have you registered your Food Business?
- Do the design and construction of your premises meet legal requirements?
- Do you staff understand the principles of good food hygiene?
- Have you put food safety management procedures in place and are you making regular checks to ensure they are working?
- Do you have a refuse collection service?
- Have you considered Health and Safety and Fire Regulations?
- Have you registered as self employed?
- Do you need to register for VAT?
- Do you describe your Food and Drink accurately?
- Do you need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol, for entertainment or selling food in the street?
- Have you visited the Go For It page to see what help is available?