“A progressive, smart and prosperous Borough. Inspired by our people. Driven by ambition.”
Council staff will:
- Be approachable and helpful, respectful and professional
- Listen carefully in order to understand your needs
- Respond quickly and efficiently to requests for Council services (see Staff Charter for timescales)
- Give you straightforward information about our services and facilities
- Ensure our services and facilities are accessible for everybody
- Treat everyone equally and fairly
- Be open and accountable
- Respect your confidentiality
- Consult customers about our services and welcome feedback.
- Make reasonable adjustments to ensure access to services for all
- Make information available on request in accessible formats e.g. large print
- Have an interpretation service available and/or other support if required (this may require an appointment)
- Ensure the website is in large text and speech output displays for people with impaired sight
- Ensure any Council officer who has to visit your home, will show an official identity card without being asked. (If you have any doubt about the authority of a particular officer, check by phoning the Council)
- Try to resolve problems as soon as possible and encourage customers to raise concerns. If your complaint cannot be resolved informally, we have a formal complaints procedure
- Monitor our customer service against the standards we have set in our Customer Charter in order to improve our service delivered to you our customer
- Aim to answer 70% of all queries at first contact or we will connect you as quickly as possible to the person you need to speak to.
- Should be treated with respect
- Will not accept any form of abuse or discriminatory behaviour.
- Wear name badges, where applicable
- Acknowledge customers on arrival and aim to see them within 5 minutes
- State the Council’s name when answering switchboard and/or when answering the telephones will state their name and section
- Answer all telephone calls within 20 seconds
- Where possible when someone is not available, take a message, offer voicemail facility or arrange for someone to ring you back
- Respond to voicemails within one working day of receipt
- Acknowledge receipt of written enquiries within 3 working days and respond within 10 working days
- Respond to stage 1 complaints within 5 working days (see Feedback page)
- Acknowledge a stage 2 complaint request within 3 working days
- Respond to stage 1 complaints within 20 working days
- If an investigation into a stage 2 complaint takes longer than 20 working days, we will write to the customer, advising of revising time limits, and providing updates on progress
- Provide contact details (job role, email and phone number) should the customer need to contact them again
- Will communicate in plain English free of unexplained technical language
- Direct customers to the correct service provider, when the customer is asking about a service outside the Council (See Useful Contacts - Services Which The Council Is Not Responsible For)
- Receive ongoing customer training.
Visiting our facilities:
- We seek to provide easy access for all visitors to our facilities
- Our facilities will be clean, welcoming and provide information about the council’s services
- If your appointment is delayed by more than 5 minutes, we will give you an explanation.
T. 0300 123 4568