Alderman Stephen Ross is the Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey for 2022-23.
Alderman Ross has lived in the Borough all his life and has faithfully served the Threemilewater area since first being elected to Council in 2014.
Chair of the Peace IV Partnership and former Chair of Council’s Community Planning Committee, Alderman Ross plays an active role in a number of local community groups.
Before getting involved in politics, Stephen was self-employed and took a special interest in helping his local community, especially in interface areas, through the Special European Union Programmes Body (SEUPB) and the Community Foundation for Northern Ireland. He worked with disadvantaged young people and ex-prisoners to help them engage and move forward and play a positive role in an inclusive society.
Since taking up his role in council he has worked closely with community-based organisations to help deliver a community plan for the Antrim and Newtownabbey Council area in partnership with a large range of statutory and stakeholder bodies.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mayor
As Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey, Alderman Stephen Ross has a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- presiding over council meetings and, in the case of equality of votes, he has a second or casting vote
- promoting and raising awareness of the Council’s main objectives and priority issues
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Antrim and Newtownabbey by attending civic and public events
- receiving distinguished visitors to the Borough
- acting as host on behalf of the council and the citizens of Antrim and Newtownabbey at civic functions
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Antrim and Newtownabbey at times of local, national and international catastrophe
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate
- promoting Antrim and Newtownabbey’s business, commercial, cultural and social life
- promoting Antrim and Newtownabbey as a place of excellence in which to live to do business and as a tourist destination