• Accessibility Options

Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council Logo

Privately Rented Housing

The Council tackles problems in relation to privately rented housing by requiring landlords to carry out necessary repair or improvement work.

Under the Private Tenancies (NI) Order 2006, the Rent (NI) Order 1978 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (NI) 2011, landlords have certain legal responsibilities to their tenants.

If you live in privately rented accommodation or act as a landlord, it is possible that you may occasionally experience disputes in relation to your accommodation or the terms of your rental agreement. Staff from the Council’s Environmental Health and Wellbeing Team can offer advice to tenants, landlords and letting agents on what their legal rights and responsibilities are. Advice for private tenants and landlords (pdf)

For any queries on the above, please contact the Environmental Health Department via T. 02890340160 or E. EnvHealth@antrimandnewtownabbey.gov.uk

  • Mediation Service
  • New Private Tenancies (NI) Act 2022
  • NI Houses in Multiple Occupation
  • Certificate of Fitness
  • Landlord Registration Scheme
  • Tenancy Deposit Scheme NI
  • Enforcement
  • Rent Books
  • Tenancy Information Notice
  • Illegal Eviction
  • Dampness and Condensation
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • Safety Alerts
  • Disrepair and Unfitness

For more information and advice please visit the Department for Communities website