• Accessibility Options

Births Deaths, Marriages & Civil Partnerships

Due to the current pandemic situation with COVID-19, there are a number of temporary arrangements in place. 

  • Important Notice
  • Facility Closures due to COVID-19

Register a Birth 

You have six weeks to Register the birth of your Baby, however, given the current situation with COVID-19 and the government recommendation for non-essential outings, this is unlikely to be enforced.  
It is therefore advised to hold off registering the birth of your baby at present to ensure the safety of yourself and your new baby.    
We appreciate that in normal circumstances you need to Register your baby’s birth in order to get a HS123 form, which allows you to register the baby at your GP Surgery.   You can still request to register you baby with your GP by providing the Health & Care Number, baby’s full name and address via the telephone to your surgery.  The Health & Care number can be found in the baby’s red book on the first page, or on the discharge sheet (also contained in the red book).
With regard to the application for Child Benefit, for which a birth certificate is usually requested, GRO have agreed a process with the Department for Communities to enable parents to claim child benefit without providing a birth certificate.    When a baby is born midwives have a legal duty to notify the birth to the Registrar (which is received as the Health & Care Number).  This is done electronically through a ‘notification of birth’ form (CHS1).  The mother is also given a copy of this form.  This is a legal document and during the current situation this fully completed form will be accepted as supporting evidence of the birth in lieu of the birth certificate.   You can therefore submit the CHS1 form along with the child benefit application form.  Please retain a  copy of the form as you may require it when you come to register the birth.  If you do not have a copy of the form you should contact your midwife and they will be able to provide one.   Child benefit can be backdated for up to three months.


Register a Death

You no longer have to register a death, in person, with the Registrar. This process is now done electronically and by telephone.

  • The Medical Practitioner will send the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD) to the General Register Office (GRO) who will then forward onto the Registrar in the Council area of which the person last resided

  • The Registrar will contact the nominated next of kin by telephone to obtain further details to allow the registration to be completed

  • Once the registration is complete the Registrar can issue death certificates at a cost of £8each

  • Payment can be made by card and the certificates will be posted to the next of kin

  • If certificates are not obtained at this time, they can be obtained from GRO via nidirect.gov.uk/articles/ordering-life-event-certificates at a cost of £15 each

  • Death certificates are usually required for closing bank accounts, claiming insurance policies, notifying private pensions and for Solicitors. 

  • ​To stop State Pension and or Benefits you should contact “The Bereavement Service” by T. 0800 085 2463


Marriages / Civil Ceremonies

Unfortunately all weddings / civil marriage ceremonies have been suspended until further notice. If we believe your civil ceremony may be affected we will be in contact with you. If you had planned a Religious ceremony and had already given notice to either office and have now changed your date, please contact our office to have your paperwork updated.

The situation can change daily and if you would like an update, or wish to discuss any other issue, please call your closest Registration office via the telephone numbers below. 

Useful Contacts

Newtownabbey Registrar

Mossley Mill,
Carnmoney Road North,
BT36 5AQ

Tel: 028 9034 0179

Email Newtownabbey Registrar

Antrim Registrar

Antrim Civic Centre Office,
50 Stiles Way,
BT41 2UB

Tel: 028 94 481 315

Email Antrim Registrar

Registrar Responsibilities
  • Registering of births, deaths, stillbirths, marriages and civil partnerships

  • Issuing authorities for forthcoming marriages

  • Performing civil marriages and civil partnerships

  • Providing general information about registrations to the public

These services are overseen by the General Register Office (GRO), which holds the majority of registration information for Northern Ireland.


Duplicate Certificates

How certificates are obtained has changed.  These can no longer be issued from district registration offices.

To obtain a Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership (after the initial registration has been complete) contact:

The General Register Office

Web. www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro
T. 0300 200 7890
In person: General Register Office, NIRSA, Colby House, Stranmilis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR

Certificates cost £15 for the first and £8 for each additional copy of the same certificate thereafter. 

Certificates applied for online or by telephone will be posted out within 5 working days.  A priority service is available, however, an extra fee will be charged.  Please contact GRO for further information.

Useful Downloads


Sign up for Updates

Sign up to hear the latest news and event information from Antrim and Newtownabbey Council.