• Important Notice
  • May Bank Holiday Arrangements
  • Accessibility Options

Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council Logo

Food Premises Registration

Under Article 6(2) of Regulation 852/2004 Food Business Operators must register their establishments with Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council.

Food Business Operators should register their food business establishment at least 28days before food operations commence.

You must also register any changes you make to your business at any later stage, such as:

  • Change of owner
  • Change of trading name
  • Change in the type of business
  • Change of address at which any moveable premises are kept.
What is Registration?

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law. Registration will allow local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Remember you may require Planning Permission to alter premises or make structural changes.

Cost of Registration

There is no cost to register a food business.

Who Needs to Register?

If you run a food business you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafés, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

  • You only use the premises for a food business for less than 5 days in 5 consecutive weeks The 5 days do not have to be consecutive. Thus any premises used regularly even once a week will be included. 
  • The premises are already registered under certain other legislation (e.g. you are a licenced dairyperson.) 
  • No retail sale of food takes place and: 
    • Game is killed for sport
    • Fish is taken for food (but not processed)
    • Only harvesting, cleaning, storing and packing of a crop harvested on those premises (except packing in a form in which the food is sold retail)
    • Honey is harvested
    • Eggs are produced or packed 
  • The premises is a livestock farm, livestock market or shellfish harvesting area 
  • The premises is a livestock farm, livestock market or shellfish harvesting area 
  • The premises is a domestic property where: 
    • The person resident is not the owner of a food business. 
    • Honey is prepared and bottled (but not sold to the public). 
    • Crops are produced, cleaned, stored, packed or sold. 
    • There is bed & breakfast accommodation of not more than 3 letting bedrooms.
  • The premises are run by voluntary or charitable institutions and used solely by voluntary or charitable organisations where no food other than dry ingredients for preparation of beverages and foods such as biscuits, crisps or similar food is stored for sale or donation. 

Food Business Establishments Under The Control Of The Same Food Business Operator

Sites will exist on which there are two or more food business establishments under the control of the same food business operator. For example, in the case of a shopping centre in which there are two or more food business establishments under the control of the same business operator, such operators must ensure that each establishment under their control is registered separately. Food business operators should therefore complete a registration form for each separate establishment.

Establishments Under The Control of Different Food Business Operator

Sites will also exist on which there are two or more food business establishments under the control of different food business operators. For example, a supermarket may have a coffee shop on site under the control of a different food business operator such as a coffee shop chain. In such cases the coffee shop will not be covered by the supermarket registration and must be registered in it’s own right by it’s operator. Coffee shops, snack bars etc. operated by the supermarket itself would be covered as part of the supermarket’s registration.

If you are unsure whether you need to register please contact a member of the Food Team for advice.

Where Do I Register a Mobile Food Business?

It is the premises where a mobile food business is kept (or garaged) that require registering rather than the premises itself.

Apply Online

Apply for registration of a food business establishment

What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details on our register. Some of the details will be transferred to a public register. The register only contains the name, address and nature of the business. This register is made available to the public for inspection.

What happens if I don’t register?

It is a criminal offence not to register a food business unless it is exempt. A person failing to register a food business maybe prosecuted.

What about changes in the business?

Once you have registered you only need to notify us of a change of Food Business Operator, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of address at which moveable premises are kept. The new Food Business operator will have to complete an application form.