• Important Notice
  • There are some changes to Council Services over the July Holidays
  • Accessibility Options

Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council Logo

Starting a New Food Business

The following information is designed to help you understand your legal duties and help you start your new business.

Planning Permission/ Building Control

If the premises is new or if you are altering existing premises you may need planning permission from the local planning office and approval from the Council's Building Control you are advised to contact them for advice.


Details can be found on our Food Premises Registration page.

Food Hygiene Requirements

You should seek advice from the Food Team before starting work. Your Environmental Health Officer will be able to give you advice on the design of catering premises, food hygiene training and advice on food safety.

Food Hygiene Training

Details can be found on our Food Hygiene Training page.

New Business Checklist
  • Have you registered your Food Business?
  • Do the design and construction of your premises meet legal requirements?
  • Do you staff understand the principles of good food hygiene?
  • Have you put food safety management procedures in place and are you making regular checks to ensure they are working?
  • Do you have a refuse collection service?
  • Have you considered Health and Safety and Fire Regulations?
  • Have you registered as self employed?
  • Do you need to register for VAT?
  • Do you describe your Food and Drink accurately?
  • Do you need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol, for entertainment or selling food in the street? 
  • Have you visited the Go For It page to see what help is available? 

Useful Contacts

Environmental Health

Mossley Mill,
Carnmoney Road North,
BT36 5QA

Tel: 028 9034 0160

Email Environmental Health