• Accessibility Options

Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council Logo

Are you thinking of organising an event on a public road? 


Local Councils have been given powers to close roads or restrict traffic to allow certain events to take place. These might include sporting events such as a Fun Run or Marathon, social events including Street Parties or other forms of entertainment held on a public road. 

After public notification and consultation with various statutory bodies including the PSNI and NIFRS, and after receiving the consent of the Department for Infrastructure Roads, Council will determine if a Road Closure Order is to be made.

There are certain costs and charges associated with this process and it is important that if you are considering organising an event that you contact the Council before making any arrangements so that we can help you through the process.

We recommend allowing a minimum of 12 weeks to process the application and allow the public consultation on the proposed arrangements. If you have any questions relating to these new arrangements then please do not hesitate to contact us on T. 028 9034 0160 or E. envhealth@antrimandnewtownabbey.gov.uk

The Guidance for Promoters of Events which has been produced by the Department for Infrastructure gives full details of what is included in this legislation. 

There are a number of activities which are not "special events" for the purposes of this legislation.  These are:

  • Public Processions

  • Motor Road Races

  • Cycle Races or Trials

Applicants should note that although the legislation provides the power to prohibit or restrict the use of a public road, pedestrian access to any premises situated on or adjacent to the road or any other premises accessible for pedestrians from, and only from, the road must be maintained at all times.

Further information can also be obtained by visiting www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk